This dress has a new take on your regular pillowcase dress… add ruffles and Ric Rac for so much cuteness! You can learn how to make your own with our Christmas Pillowcase Dress Tutorial. Click the link to read more.
Turns out this dress is perfect for twirling.
My favorite thing about pillowcase dresses is that they are so fast and easy and they fit for ages! Since this dress will only be worn for a few months this year I’m glad to know it will still fit for years to come as a tunic and then a top.
Let’s get started!
~ Christmas Pillowcase Dress Tutorial ~
1. Start by cutting out your basic pillowcase dress shape. The top edge of the bodice should be about 1.5x the width of your child’s chest and then make a basic a-line shape and add 2 armholes.
With right sides together sew up the side seams stopping at the armhole cutouts.
2. If you’d like to add a ruffle to the bottom, cut a strip of coordinating fabric to 2-3x the width of the bottom edge of your dress and double the finished length. Sew the ends together to form a loop and then bring the long edges together so the seam allowance is enclosed. Gather until it matches the bottom edge of the dress.
3. With right sides together sew the ruffle to the bottom edge of the dress.
4. Flip the ruffle down and add some RicRrac over the seam line.
5. Finish your armholes with some bias tape or by folding over twice and topstitching.
6. Fold the top edge of the bodice over 1/4″ and then another 1″ and topstitch to create a casing.
7. Thread through a sash or length of ribbon and you’re done
Hope to see you soon!
Thank you Amy! This Christmas Pillowcase Dress Tutorial is awesome and super easy, especially for beginners. You can make a quick pillowcase dress for your cutie that she will love and gush over. I also love how they can last for such a long time. Years of fun!
The Ribbon Retreat carries beautiful high quality fabrics from your favorite designers. Check out our Christmas Fabrics and be sure to browse all our other fabrics. We also carry a large assortment of Ric Rac in tons of colors. All for a wonderful price and awesome shipping and service.
For more Christmas tutorials click here… we have so much!
And check out Nap Time Crafters and Amy’s pattern shop, Peekaboo Patterns. So much great stuff!
Happy Holiday Crafting!
If you are interested in sharing your crafts or bow making skills, we are searching for crafty contributors. If you’re a craft blogger or bow maker who’d like to submit a tutorial of your own, visit our Project Submission Page to see all the details. We love all tutorials, and we make it worth your while! We love our contributors!
Have a great day! ~ Shirley, The Ribbon Retreat Blog Editor